CoolStance Low NSC Feed, 30 lb.
CoolStance copra is a unique horse feed because it has low Non Structural Carbohydrate (NSC), and yet has a high digestible energy content. CoolStance is packed with ‘cool’ energy from coconut oil and fibre from coconut meal. CoolStance copra is suitable for most horses and can be fed to maintain a natural state of gut health and insulin sensitivity, ie normal insulin metabolism.
CoolStance copra is made from the white part of the coconut, which has been dried, baked and ground. It is a totally natural product and is chemical and GMO free.
- CoolStance copra has been fed as a quality product to horses for over 20 years
- Provides high-density ‘cool’ energy from oil and digestible fibre (15 MJ DE/kg DM).
- Contains <2% starch and may reduce the effect of hot or fizzy behaviour in horses
- Contains < 11% Non Structural Carbohydrates (NSC) making it a low GI feed
- Contains coconut oil, which is a saturated oil and is not prone to rancidity or oxidation
- Rich in Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT) which are absorbed directly into the portal blood and provide readily digestible energy. MCT are unlike most other oils (soy, corn, flaxseed) which are polyunsaturated, and are slowly digested.
- MCT from coconut oil may have antimicrobial actions from the Lauric and Caprylic acid
- MCT are thought to maintain a healthy gut
- Provides a balanced supply of protein and energy
- Highly palatable, even for picky eaters
- May improve body, hoof and coat condition.
- Reduces hay requirement
- May avoid metabolic disorders (tying up, laminitis, colic, EMS)
|Horse||Level of activity||CoolStance (kg/day)||CoolStance (lb/day)|
|Foals||Free choice in creep feeder|
|Weanlings||After 3 months of age||0.5 – 1.0||1.1 – 2.2|
|Broodmares||First 2 trimesters||1.0 – 3.0||2.2 – 6.6|
|Wet mares||Early lactation||3.0 – 4.0||6.6 – 8.8|
|Horses Spelling or in Recovery||Not in work||0.5 – 1.0||1.1 – 2.2|
|heavy||3.0 – 4.0||6.6 – 8.8|
|NB: Always measure CoolStance feeding rate as a DRY weight (kg/lb)|
- CoolStance should be introduced gradually into the diet over a period of 10-14 days. It can be fed in a mixed feed with chaff and/or other grains and concentrates, or on its own.
- CoolStance can be wet-down to form a mash or it can be fed dry, provided that plenty of clean drinking water is also available (this enables the horse to regulate its intake of CoolStance and water).
- Feeding wet. CoolStance will absorb at least three times its own weight in water. For example place 1kg (2.2lb) CoolStance in a bucket and add 2 litres of water. Since CoolStance contains only low levels of sugar and starch (NSC), you can leave it soak for hours. Many horse owners prepare the evening feed after the morning feed.
- Store in a cool, dry place out of sunlight.
- CoolStance must be fed in conjunction with additional roughage such as hay and/or pasture to ensure the horse obtains sufficient long fibre.
- If possible, split the horse’s hard feed between 2 or 4 feeds per day.
To get the best results, the Stance Equine Feeding System is used:
- Remove all grain and grain-based feed from the diet.
- Feed CoolStance copra at the rate recommended, depending upon work or exercise levels.
- Feed medium quality grass hay or pasture to provide the remainder of the diet.
- Check there are no seed heads in the hay.
- Provide fresh, clean water away from the CoolStance feeder to ensure the horses leave the feed trough. This should be done for all feeds, as it will slow down the rate of eating and assist digestion.
- For most horses, CoolStance and hay will provide the required amounts of minerals and vitamins. *For yearlings and brood mares, a balanced mineral and vitamin supplement may be required.
- Horses were designed to eat little and often and usually graze for 16-18 hours per day. Feeding twice per day may cause “insulin spikes” which can predispose horses to insulin resistance. This can be avoided by feeding less and more often. If feeding more than twice per day is not practical, feed the hay in a hay feeder which limits the horse to eating the hay over several hours.
- For example, for a 500kg horse, feed 1kg CoolStance and 3 kg hay both morning and evening. Adjust the amount of CoolStance depending on the level of work.
- Remove all treats that contain sugar or starch
|Typical Medium Chain Triglycerides (MTC) in CoolStance Copra (% in the oil)|
|Caprylic (C:8) and Capric (C:10)||5-18%|